Exterior shutters are not only a beautiful architectural feature, but they also serve practical purposes like protection, privacy, and light control. However, over time, they can accumulate dirt, dust, and grime, which might diminish their appeal. In this short and informative blog post, we'll walk you through the individual methods of cleaning different types of exterior shutters - aluminum, PVC, wood, composite, and vinyl - to ensure they stay stunning and well-maintained for years to come.
Cleaning Aluminum Exterior Shutters
Aluminum shutters are known for their durability and low-maintenance qualities. To clean effectively, follow these simple steps:
- Begin by rinsing the shutters with a garden hose to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Prepare a solution of mild detergent and water in a bucket.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or cloth to scrub the shutters gently, paying extra attention to any stubborn stains.
- Rinse off the detergent thoroughly with the garden hose.
- Allow the shutters to air dry or use a clean cloth to wipe them dry.
Cleaning PVC Exterior Shutters
PVC shutters are resilient and resistant to moisture, making them relatively easy to clean. Here’s how to do it:
- Similar to aluminum shutters, start by rinsing the PVC shutters with a hose to eliminate loose dirt.
- Mix a solution of warm water and mild dish soap in a bucket.
- Use a soft sponge or cloth to wash the shutters, removing any stains or grime gently.
- Rinse off the soap entirely with the hose.
- Let the shutters air dry or use a clean cloth to dry them.
Cleaning Wood Exterior Shutters
Wood shutters exude timeless elegance, but they require more delicate care to preserve their beauty. Follow these steps:
- Dust off the wood shutters with a microfiber cloth or a soft brush to avoid scratching the surface.
- Create a solution of mild soap and water in a bucket, being careful not to saturate the wood.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to clean the shutters, wiping them in the direction of the wood grain.
- Rinse the cloth frequently to prevent spreading dirt.
- Dry the shutters immediately (in the direction of the wood grain) with a clean towel to avoid water damage.
Cleaning Composite Exterior Shutters
Composite shutters combine the benefits of various materials, offering both durability and aesthetics. Here’s how to keep them looking their best:
- Begin by spraying the shutters with a garden hose to remove loose debris.
- Prepare a cleaning solution using a mild detergent and warm water.
- Gently scrub the shutters with a soft brush or cloth, paying attention to any stains or grime.
- Rinse the shutters thoroughly with the hose.
- Use a clean cloth to dry the shutters or let them air dry naturally.
Cleaning Vinyl Exterior Shutters
Vinyl shutters are known for their affordability and ease of maintenance. Follow these steps to keep them spotless:
- Rinse the vinyl shutters with a hose to remove loose dirt and dust.
- Create a cleaning solution using equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Use a soft sponge or cloth to wipe down the shutters with the vinegar solution.
- Rinse off the solution thoroughly with the hose.
- Allow the shutters to air dry or use a clean cloth to dry them.
Maintaining the beauty of your exterior shutters is a simple task when you know the right cleaning methods for each material. Regular cleaning will not only enhance your home’s curb appeal but also extend the life of your shutters. Remember to be gentle yet thorough, and always use mild cleaning agents to avoid damaging the materials. By following these tips, you can enjoy stunning and well-preserved exterior shutters for many years to come. Happy cleaning!